My latest collaboration with Dona Chai and Brins Jam & Marmalade resulted in these adorable cherry chai cupcakes. A lightly flavored Dona chai cupcake is crowned with cherry chai buttercream from Brins (formerly named Stagg Jam & Marmalade). Brins actually used Dona chai in their jam recipe, so this cupcake is a flavor match made in confectionery heaven!
The cherries on top remind me of the alluring ice cream sundaes at old time-y diners, such as the one on my old college campus in Chicago. Sometimes the only thing that would motivate me to write a paper was a friend dragging me from the bookish danger zone of my dorm room to study at our diner with a sweet treat close at hand. That cherry on top could make it or break it!
Dona is a Masala Chai tea concentrate. If you mix equal parts with hot milk, you’ll have a wildly good chai tea latte on your hands. With vibrant spices like green cardamom and black peppercorn shining through, Dona chai breathes sparkling life into baked goods. I suggest drinking a chai latte as you munch on your cupcake batch! Dona chai is brewed in Brooklyn, where the brand also concocts a golden latte concentrate made from turmeric.
While I was cozy at home eating cupcakes this weekend, I was excited to browse the upcoming lineup at New York’s Dessert Goals festival next week. I’m excited to see their new space in Long Island City! I won’t leave before grazing on some fluffy shaved ice at the Bonsai Kakigori stand or taking incessant photos of the push-pop cake creations at The Pop Cake Shop. I think there are a few tickets left for the event, so skedaddle on over to their website as soon as possible! And if you can’t make it, definitely, DEFINITELY mix up a batch of these gorgeously flavored cupcakes.
Scroll down for the recipe!
For the Cake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dona chai concentrate
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and beat in the eggs.
- Mix in the Dona chai concentrate.
- Fold in the flour and buttermilk, alternating between each, and mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda and vinegar and then mix into the batter.
- Distribute batter in cupcake holders until 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the Frosting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cups Cherry Chai Jam from Brins Jam & Marmalade
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat the butter in an electric stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly incorporate powdered sugar, sifted.
- Add cherry chai jam and vanilla.
- Beat until well combined.
Don’t forget the cherry on top!