If you, too, find yourself wandering listlessly through a CVS as often as I do, you know that the baking inspiration within its walls is hard to come by.
Instead of giving in to the host of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream cartons that are eyeing you back as you pass through the freezer section, try this recipe instead. Grab a box of graham crackers and a container of honey. If you already are well stocked with the most basic baking ingredients at home, you’ll be all set.
These mini vanilla butter cupcakes are topped with honey buttercream, a dollop of honey, and a sprinkle of graham streusel. The vanilla butter cake has a biscuit-y taste that pairs well with the uber-sweet honey frosting and sweet-n-salty streusel. Honey is the sweetest type of sugar in existence, so it really needs that salt to balance out the flavor.
These cupcakes are so good and so simple that you’ll be amazed by your own ingenuity. You will want to test out this same recipe with other various snackfoods after your next inevitable CVS romp!
Scroll down for the recipe.
Yellow Butter Cake
Makes 24 mini cupcakes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Gradually add mixture to the butter mixture.
- Mix in the whole milk until combined.
- Let bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- ½ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and honey.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, at low speed.
- Mix on high until light and fluffy.
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, from 3 graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- Crush the graham crackers into small crumbs.
- Combine crumbs with the flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Work cold butter into the mixture until it has the texture of wet sand.